Friday, January 2, 2009

More On Beauty

I am having a very positive day today. My beast is stuffed where she should be, down deep where she can't whisper uglies at me. I am wearing sweats, I never did manage make-up today but I feel amazing. Right now, I feel beautiful and smart, ready to take on the world.

Society doesn't want me to feel that way. They want to sell me the next fad diet, the next big make-up product, hair care item or acne medicine. They want me to fit a label, a definition. I don't need any of that. Emma, the girl inside me, needs to feel loved. She needs to feel smart and empowered.

Sometimes she feels like this:


Other times its more like this:


I want to be told I am gorgeous but I want to not need other people's opinions. I want to be powerful but I want to have safe places to fall apart. I want to be beautiful but I'll decide what that beauty is. Mostly, I want to define me. Not society.

No comments:

Post a Comment